Sunday 30 January 2011

Livin' la vida loca



….as our good friend Ricky Martin sings, I really do feel like I am living the crazy life in este momento. Life in France is speeding along; before I know it it’ll be the end of the assistantship and then quoi? Answers on a postcard please.

Quoi de neuf?

Bullet points are essential here.

  • Avoided starting my Year Abroad project. (Y).
  • Finally went for a run. (YY)
  • Written/made a presentation about the differences between French and British higher education with a student from the École des Mines (engineering school). Presented it in French. Pas mal.
  • Went to Brussels for a weekend (another blog is necessary, I feel)
  • Been out for drinks in Blitz café, v. cool bar as far as they come in Nancy.
  • Been to a retirement do at school- the 68 year old food technology teacher is finally throwing in the towel. Spent several minutes wearing a hairnet and banging cutlery around (even the Head and Deputy Head joined in- some kind of farewell ritual). Then proceeded to devour the mini patisserie buffet.
  • Been to Le Normandie, the other foyer in Nancy for drinks/prawn crackers and general mayhem.
  • Went to a party with the name ‘Soirée Info-Nympho’. Basically, an École des Mines soirée where you either had to dress up as a geek or a hooker. I chose the former. Funny night pre-drinking with some guys from the school, before catching the last tram to a random church and dancing the night away. Felt like a school disco, albeit with beer. Hilarious.
  • Went out for a birthday meal (Yerark’s) with a few assistants from a nearby lycée. Ate lots. Standard.
  • Went on a school trip to a glass blowing factory. The bus driver got us lost (bloody sat-nav). I was chief photographer so had to take pictures of the kids (something which would NEVER be allowed in the UK).
  • Went to a place called Ludres the other evening. A couple of weeks ago, I met a woman, Sandrine from the Champagne region who invited Jackie and I round to hers to sample some proper Champagne. (I love my life). Spent a lovely evening eating smoked salmon (winner), drinking champagne and chatting in French.
  • Went to see the new Clint Eastwood film, Hereafter (or Au Delà as it is known over here). I liked it. Jackie hated it.
  • Went shopping. Bought clothes (Y).
  • Went for an African meal on Thurday evening with a load of other assistants. Was enjoying the nice atmosphere and delicious food until I ate something that did not agree with me. Suffice to say I am STILL allergic to nuts. Mouth swelled up, felt ill then proceeded to ‘chunder’ all over the bathroom in the restaurant. Nasty. Jackie took me home, threw up some more then think I passed out in the bathroom for a while….. Luckily felt fine the following morning!! Bastard nuts…Good African beer though.
It was all going so well...

  • Went out with the assistants I know from the lycée. Irish bar MacCarthy’s and Loveboat. Danced to Shakira. Free lollipops. Niiiiice!

Phewwww. Almost finished. On Friday I found myself in Ludres again- I was visiting Anne, an English woman I had met a couple of weeks previously at the English speaking dinner (see previous blog, my friends). I love her! She’s 81 ish but looks about 65 and is really active (she’d been to the gym before I arrived!). After a lovely aperitif which came from the Ile de Ré (Charentes I think…), we had a lovely meal of avocado and tuna, shepherd’s pie, bread and cheese and apple crumble!! All of which was home-made, a proper taste of home. I ended up staying 7 hours! Got to hear all about her life- she’s been living in Belgiuim/France for the last 55 or so years. When she was younger she borrowed her mum’s car and drove from Essex to the south of France with some girlfriends- and that’s where she met her Belgian husband! They settled in Belgium, then moved to Nancy around 30 years ago. Such a nice story! Her husband passed away 20 years ago, but now she has a Chihuahua to keep her company (the dog took a shine to me and fell asleep on my knee for a couple of hours, sooooo cute!). Was a great afternoon hearing about her amazing life on the continent and her huge family (she only speaks to her daughters in French). A real inspiration. She also gave me some home made Mirabelle jam and little cakes she'd baked to take home with me- I was smiling the whole way back. The way to my heart is clearly food…

Right, that’s that for now. I wish la vie en France would stop whizzing by so fast. The cliché is true: so much to do, so little time. Mais la vie est belle!

No comments:

Post a Comment